Zandermanith

Favorite/Least Favorite Arena Stage?

What're your favorite and least favorite Arena stages? Whether it's for fun value, concept, technical impressiveness or whatever! What're your preferences? Feel free to list multiple if you want!

My favorite personally's probably Nexus Projects, if only for one thing really. And it's not pizzas The feeling of diving from the top of the ramp to the bottom to speed up map traversal! Specifically with Dodge 3, but it works well enough with lower tiers. Throwing enemies off said ramps is fun too~

My least favorite probably has to be Murder Room 4, the idea of having a stage take place on an elevator is interesting, but the lasers are absolutely jarring because it's not really super clear where they're gonna hit till they start doing so!

And also honestly The Facility, mostly because it seems... unfinished. It's an absolutely gigantic map, mostly full of wide open areas, but without any objectives and only having I think up to 6 enemies at any one time, it all just kinda goes to waste! Teammates pretty much always get stuck in the spawn area behind the fence without player assistance and sometimes (Not quite sure what causes it, but it happens often) the sound channels for doors in a room gets reversed! So enemies coming through what sounds like the left door are actually coming out the right and vice versa~ obviously a bug, but still quite disorientating nonetheless.

Edited by Zandermanith
  • Like 2

We have something in common with Nexus Projects, yet Nexus Projects is my favorite by the soundtrack playing and the feeling you get for fighting through an apartment building thing against MERCs, just hoping the devs someday add MERC Sarges/Captains into it, or maybe on maps involving MERCs.

Meanwhile my least favorite is Murder room 3, I mean its well made but sometimes its jinxed when your player is about to die and you try to bait the mercs into the falling platform but you end up dying along with them.

Edited by The Deputy
grammar fix
  • Like 1

Time for an Alias wall-of-text rant!

Favorite map? I actually like Outpost, mostly because of its working objective system. Until Facility, it's the best place to grind $$$. Additionally, the AAHW are just a fun faction to play against; nailing the poor lil' vanilla soldats/engineers with throwables feels very satisfying.

Least favorite? I, too, detest Murder Room 3.

The player is initially mobbed by low tier enemies with MERC rifles. Easy enough to deal with, even easier using guns. Melee is a risk, because if you perform any action with long recovery time (dash attack, execution, Jebus forbid a grapple), or if you get caught by a Merczerker's charge, then you could easily die. In my opinion, guns are the way to go for this map. Unless your character's got bullets for days, he's gonna have to go for one of the dropped guns. Because the platforms clear all entities, they also clear all guns, so you gotta go fast to pick up those rather shitty Merc rifles.

The only truly safe spot is in the center. You can't stay there for long, however, cuz class 3 MERCs with dual SMGs will shoot you from offscreen, forcing your character to sidestep or forcing you to dodge. Until Acro 3, dodges also have terrible recovery times, and each dodge is a risk.

Even if you play it utterly safe, standing on the lines or as close to the center as possible, then a single mistake could spell your untimely demise. And a single mistake is bound to happen when fighting through extremely high enemy count of this map.

There's definite a case for "gitgud" here, and I'm far from being a good gamer. But, if I can't easily do hard mode (let alone madness mode) with 250+ hours in the game, then perhaps a change is in order.

On the positive side, there's a lot of runner ups for second favorite map. Aforementioned Projects is great for its objectives...and I will unabashedly say that PIZZA is OP and one of my favorite weapons in the game. I also like Murder room 2 for its skill-based hazards, and also because Bandit voice lines never fail to crack me up.

Edited by ]H p S t R] aliasMAXIMA
Untypoing.

The Facility stage is going to get addressed, along with the Nexus Projects stage, when we're done with Story Mode. Both of em are gonna have more of a progressive feeling, and will be less wander-y. They'll more push you in as you go rather than just leaving you free to explore everything. Arena doesn't really work when the player can just walk away from attackers.

Interesting reasoning behind the favorites/least favorites. Gonna be keeping an eye on this thread, I don't want to lose sight of what makes maps fun.

• Thanks 2

I don't even know why I didn't think of Murder Room 3, I think I just filtered that stage out of my mind. As much as I enjoy the feeling of diving off a platform right before it falls, that stage is really frustrating. Getting killed instantly just because you got locked in a finisher animation, or because a Mercserker or three tackled you isn't too fun in my eyes..! Plus the map design itself is kinda just... An empty square (Save for two crates) where you can be shot from anywhere in the map at any time. Allies are also just kinda...entirely screwed, I mean not every stage has to be totally Ally-safe, in fact pretty much all but the first Murder Room isn't, but at least the other Murder Rooms aren't capable of killing all your allies at once instantly~

I find it kinda weird also that the spinning blades only appear on higher difficulties, kinda implying they're more dangerous when really I couldn't be more thankful to see them instead of a quadrant falling.

Good to hear about the plans for The Facility! It looks like it could be a real fun stage in theory, but the current spawn mechanics and lack of incentives just kinda makes it not work!

Edited by Zandermanith

On 8/3/2018 at 5:37 PM, ☆StorySwap!Asriel☆ said:

k

Please refrain from making comments without any weight to the topic at hand; that can be considered on the same line as spam. Will let this slide this time around since it's not that big of a deal; thanks!

On-topic: my favorite has to be Outpost too, just because it has so much space in it that it doesn't really get too boring. Like, I get the difficulty curve goes up when you're stuck in one room all the time, but it also comes at the cost of the enjoyment factor through variety imo. (Also best song in Outpost: "Vulture Feast." WHERE IS MOAR OF MY VULTURE FEAST???)

Least favorite is Murder Room 5, largely due to balancing issues. Mostly maxed out my character in Arena and I still can't pass Madness mode because the enemies just become absurd to deal with at one point. Either that, or Murder Room 4 with the insane laser problem. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The last murder room. That stage doesn't have a madness difficulty, it has SMOKER difficulty.

I'm trying to escape this Nexus soldat unit, gate shoots up out of the ground. I'm stuck in the center section, got 12 rounds to my name. Now, the fire is closing in behind me and I can't stop dodging these damn rounds. Both of my team mates are dead and I have two corpus left. Tacbar is empty. Gol3m is coming straight for me.

Smoker difficulty is real.

5 hours ago, Spirit said:

Least favorite is Murder Room 5, largely due to balancing issues. Mostly maxed out my character in Arena and I still can't pass Madness mode because the enemies just become absurd to deal with at one point. Either that, or Murder Room 4 with the insane laser problem. 

Oh thank goodness, I thought I was just terrible when I found myself unable to complete MR5 with almost all the skills! But I guess it is supposed to be the "Pinnacle of Murder Rooms"

It seems like the earlier stages seem to be the most solidly built. I find myself going back to MR1/2, Outpost and Nexus Projects quite often. But beyond those four, the only stages I've personally enjoyed are Club Advent and Outbreak. (Training Rooms 1/2 are a bit bland, and I think I'd enjoy Training Room 3, but I need to find out when I can play it on something other than Easy.)

Northvada Pole's elves operate like Zombies did in PN1 where being grappled basically spells doom. Except for elves, you can't break out of grapples without taking damage. (Albeit they're not bullet sponges like zombies). The only strategy really is to sit in a corner and take out Santas through sheer force of strength. Outbreak is kinda similar, except zombies are far more fair IMO.

Murder Room 3 is the land of dying instantly due to being locked in animations.

The Facility... just needs an overhaul.

Murder Room 4 is extremely jarring with uncertain laser tracks.

and Murder Room 5 is just needlessly difficult, and I mean maybe that's the intent, it IS the only Tier 7 stage in the game currently, but it's just a bit much for me personally. It feels like there's little to no way to keep yourself out of harms way outside of just dodging all the time and just hoping you don't get shotgunned.

Edited by Zandermanith

17 hours ago, Zandermanith said:

Oh thank goodness, I thought I was just terrible when I found myself unable to complete MR5 with almost all the skills! But I guess it is supposed to be the "Pinnacle of Murder Rooms"

You know, funnily enough, I actually JUST beat the room on Madness mode yesterday, but this was after like literally a dozen attempts. When I tried it again once more to see if my first win was largely luck-based, sure enough it was. Got my ass kicked from 6 different angles for a thirteenth time, lol.

Murder Rooms 3 and 4 are both not very fun to me. Three for all the reasons everyone else mentioned as well as being shot at from off screen (though that is a problem with the game as a whole, it is just excentuated with Murder Room 3). Four because it is extremely hard to see where the lasers are coming from to me, but it is possible I just don't have the bullet hell mindset for it.

8 hours ago, Spirit said:

You know, funnily enough, I actually JUST beat the room on Madness mode yesterday, but this was after like literally a dozen attempts. When I tried it again once more to see if my first win was largely luck-based, sure enough it was. Got my ass kicked from 6 different angles for a thirteenth time, lol.

My guess is that since it's the final stage available in Arena Mode in the current build, they just made it an almost impossible hurdle to complete to give players something they gotta work real hard on to beat. Kinda like how the Minigun is inexplicably $250,000 and clearly serves as a cash sink for any players who have otherwise bought everything they could want.

Not a big fan of Nexus Projects.  I feel like the only reason people like it is because it offers something different from the other maps and that it's one of two maps with an objective.

Map is filled to the brim with dead-ends due to the scientists having their own rooms, with one way in and out, making for some seriously abhorrent clusterfucks of NPCs if you're trying to do the objective without cheesing it and only having a few dudes alive.  Would be mitigated if there were holes in the wall between adjacent rooms, but then there'd have to be an excuse for having to unlock the other room with pizza - that issue is an unfixable side-effect of the objective, unless some serious contrivances are made up.

Hallway combat works pretty nicely except for the dead-end room with a possible computer spawn, given there's not a whole lot of substance to it.  Have fun walking down there and hoping for a graffiti or a computer spawn, either way you're walking back through a sea of enemies.

I think the ramps aren't terribly well executed either.  The thin walkways make them an exceptionally easy way to funnel enemies through and pop them one-by-one, and going all the way up and down them while searching for an enemy or an objective gets quite tedious.  Making the incline steeper and the ramps shorter (or just shortening them, floor height be damned) would make them a much more engaging part of the level by causing action to become more urgent.

With fewer objectives the map would probably fare better, but as it currently necessitates you traverse it multiple times to complete your objectives it can be a bit of a chore to walk through.  Either they should be streamlined and reduced or the map itself needs to be made more compact and to flow better.

Worst map is probably MR4 because the lasers are really difficult to anticipate due to the camera angle and their lack of lighting.  Facility has potential, but besides a good deal of unnecessary clutter and whatever back-end horrors occur from early development, there needs to be objectives and the navs and spawns need to be un-fucked for it to be compelling.

On 8/8/2018 at 8:19 AM, Mezzelo said:

Not a big fan of Nexus Projects. 

Worst map is probably MR4 .

abbreviated your post there but just wanted to say that yeah, I agree with many of the sentiments you brought up. With The Projects, between the dead ends and ramps the entire stage needs a facelift so bad you won't recognize it when it's done.

I feel like MR 4 can be saved with fewer gestures, though

On 8/3/2018 at 7:24 PM, Zandermanith said:

I don't even know why I didn't think of Murder Room 3 (...)

We got some ideas for how to take some of the edge off of this map. Either from reducing the stakes to so that falling is not fatal, or reducing the area that falls into the hazard, or some combination of the two.  You're absolutely correct, the stage far breaches unfair and moves into bs territory.

It got a pass from me because it's so pretty, but it can be more.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2018 at 9:07 PM, Zandermanith said:

My guess is that since it's the final stage available in Arena Mode in the current build, they just made it an almost impossible hurdle to complete to give players something they gotta work real hard on to beat. Kinda like how the Minigun is inexplicably $250,000 and clearly serves as a cash sink for any players who have otherwise bought everything they could want.

I don't think so. I think it's more of a balancing issue with the shotguns as well as what types of enemies are popping up at once for the players to engage with. Like, if none of these enemies had shotguns, the difficulty immediately decreases by like a fifth. But yes, it's still absurdly hard, even with 95% of my skill tree finished.

Also, featuring your post due to its usefulness to the Devs. Well done, keep at it. ?

9 hours ago, Mr.Krinkels said:

We got some ideas for how to take some of the edge off of this map. Either from reducing the stakes to so that falling is not fatal, or reducing the area that falls into the hazard, or some combination of the two.  You're absolutely correct, the stage far breaches unfair and moves into bs territory.

It got a pass from me because it's so pretty, but it can be more.

It IS a very nicely presented stage definitely! It's just perhaps a bit too immediately punishing without much to combat it. Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind for it~

Edited by Zandermanith

We've got new hazard indicators in the game that we're gonna be putting on the trap floors to make it more obvious which is about to go down. Plus with better melee cancelling in, more cover, and enemies unable to shoot you from up on the ledges, I think MR3 will be a much better experience without fundamentally changing what it's supposed to be. Because *I* love it.

3 hours ago, The Swain said:

We've got new hazard indicators in the game that we're gonna be putting on the trap floors to make it more obvious which is about to go down. Plus with better melee cancelling in, more cover, and enemies unable to shoot you from up on the ledges, I think MR3 will be a much better experience without fundamentally changing what it's supposed to be. Because *I* love it.

I'm cool with that personally, I think MR3 is a really cool concept that fits the "Murder Room" name, those changes should really help make it not-unnecessarily frustrating~

tbh I've found MR3 to be less frustrating than 2, 4 and 5, glitches aside.  Even if you can't explicitly see which light is red, you can at least make an inference on which platforms are safe to stay on and haul ass accordingly.

Difficulty is quite a bit lower than 4 and 5 and if need be you can let the platforms do the work for you, although I think they're a bit too easy to exploit, and boy would it be nice if our squadmates didn't instadie.  Glad to see melee canceling as a feature though, that's a general QOL improvement we've needed for some time.

If I had to rate them by which ones I like most (excluding training rooms 1/2 because they're kinda dull and serve their purpose of training and nothing more), here's how I'd do it.

1. Club Advent

2. Abandoned Outpost

3. Murder Room 1

4. Nexus Projects

5. The Outbreak

6. Training Room 3

7. Murder Room 2

8. The Facility

9. Murder Room 5

10. Santa's Workshop

11. Murder Room 3

12. Murder Room 4

Club Advent has awesome music. It is very fast paced (even more so than the other tracks in the game), and you almost get the feel of the animations where the violence is in tune with the music's beat. The enemies are hard and there's a lot of them, but there's not a ridiculous amount, and you have lots of space to maneuver so you don't get overwhelmed.

The AAHW is just a fun faction to play against, they just kinda spam units and most of them are pretty weak, so you get again a real feeling of the animations where you're just murdering fools left and right, while playing against others can feel slower paced. Abandoned Outpost actually having objectives elevates it above Murder Room 1, also the giant death fan in Murder Room 1 is kind of out of the way despite being in the centre of the room and it only comes into play if you either piss about and spartan kick enemies into the fan instead of shooting them for teh lulz or do what I do and frontflip into it right as the game ends.

Mercs are quite a balanced and versatile faction. Their troops aren't very powerful, but aren't very weak either. Unlike bandits which are just kinda weak, AAHW which are just two chaff units and two good units, with the Nexus being a stronger clone of the AAHW, the Mercs have a good variety of units, from the merczerkers who charge at you with melee, to the heavily armoured, heavily armed brute dudes, along with the longer ranged, fast, poorly armoured sharpshooters, and their very agile, high tacbar sergeants and captains. The varying elevation and rather unique setting set Nexus Projects apart from other stages, along with being the only other stage with objectives. Murder Room 3 is a neat idea, but it's a bit bullshit how you can just randomly fall in an instant death pit because of executions, or getting knocked over or stunned or whatever. So I don't play that one.

It's already quite fun to just go around with heavy armour, a riot shield, and a gigantic sword and do the mega charge up attack and just slice 10 zeds to pieces at once. It's good that Zeds have been toned down from the one-shot you are fucked if you get grappled ones from the original to these more tame ones. It would be nice if the ATMs were readded, even if it's just a way to farm some cash. I also think you don't get swarmed enough, rather than being longer steady flows of zed, I think you should just get swarmed in fast, brutal waves by around 30 zed at the same time. It would just give the stage a more epic feel, and make cleaving through hordes of Zed even cooler.

Nothing really to say about Training Room 3, what sets it apart from other stages is that all the enemies are melee. It's quite fun either testing out your new machinegun on hapless ai running down the kill corridor, or standing in the middle of it and smacking them in the face with your battleaxe as they charge you.

As has already been said, it's cool how Murder Room 2 is based a lot on skill, in you dodging the saw blades. Although sometimes your allies decide it would be a great idea to be sawn in half by a saw and stand directly in it's path and die. Bandits feel sufficiently bandity, again maybe a bit more swarming could be had in this stage. Overall just pretty neat.

As said previously, facility is just a bit unfinished. It's very hard on higher difficulties, but after that unique gun in that locker was seemingly removed there's no real reason to leave the starting room unless you get really overwhelmed. Nothing much to say about it.

Murder Room 5 has dethroned facility as the most difficult map. It's really awesome that this stage messes about with terrain with the timed fire spouts and walls that lock off sections of the map, there really needs to be one where the entire stage is just changing elevation and walls are popping up and going away all over the place, meanwhile saws are coming out of the walls and laser gates go on and off killing stuff that isn't agile enough to get through. It's good if you really hate yourself, but in it's current state it goes from the Facility's just about barable on madness difficulty to "I am a rich boi and I don't care if I punch my fist through my monitor" difficulty. Has lots of potential.

Nothing much to say about the other 2 stages, I just don't like them. As always, keep up the good work. Looking forwards to more stages in the future!

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion ahoy! Personally I never really liked Arena Mode in general. Now I know that is a sort of broad statement to make as there are aspects I like about it but I feel that it is a bit too bare-bones for my taste. It also has to do with the fact I rarely played Arena despite having the Alpha for several months mainly due to using a trackpad at the time and with the current way I set up controls it makes it hell to play.  Not to mention since I waited so long there were bugs that got patched that could have helped me out or would have been fun to do not to mention some new bugs took their place. I also DESPISE the squad mechanics as I either forget about the button or am unsure of how to direct them effectively as well as being aimless with how I play. I also barely made it past the first Murder Room I believe so that could also be a factor in my disdain. 

I would also mark another point of disdain being that despite a sort of open world feel as well as a loose plotline. There really is nothing more to Arena than create character, grind skills, enter and die in some murder room thanks to squad mates or bullshit and repeat. Now that is all well and good for a few minutes but I feel that given the improvements this Arena has over the PN1 Arena in terms of actually being able to explore a hub world and buy your own equipment and squad mates. I just feel more could be done to make it really standout. 

Forgot to mention this but I also abstained from playing due to massive lag. In fact that also kept me from the story at first till I just gritted my teeth and went through it. Still lag constantly sadly. 

Decided to add something of note since I have gotten into playing Arena proper. I actually do enjoy it and I love my hirelings as well the customization options and weapon variety. Though I do take issue to MR3 and some glitches that dampen the experience. Not to mention I also believe that you should be able to have the option to store weapons from your pack directly to your inventory rather than having to approach a container and start moving items out one at a time.

Edited by Audanti'sshitposts
Ended up admitting that Arena was not awful but needed some more polish.

I dislike story mode personally but that's just me.

favorite arena map: Nexus projects

least favorite:  Murder room 5/Murder room 4