Sign in to follow this  
Zandermanith

Endless Arena Mode?

Posted (edited)

I know proper work hasn't actually begun on Arena mode yet, but I'm wondering if an endless mode for stages will be considered, I assume you can program an automated formula for scaling enemy distribution.

Like you could have a stage on Easy, Medium, Hard and Madness and after completing it on Madness you could unlock Endless mode. Mostly I want this because there's some stages I really like the design of (Training Room 3, Abandoned Outpost), but as you get more powerful, earlier stages, even the hardest difficulty becomes absolutely trivial.

This is of course, the natural course of power progression, but I don't feel like it has to be that way, an endless mode would give every stage a sense of longevity and replayability.

It could either just go until you die or after a certain wave threshold you could be given a coward button between waves to end your run right there, each wave adding a small amount of EXP/Cash to your total.

Edited by Zandermanith

Endless arena mode is definitely getting integrated into Arena when we get back to nailing that beast to the ground. Half because a deathmarch is the best way to run Arena mode and half because hand-crafting waves for every stage at every difficulty is arduous, and pointlessly taxing. We've gotten on paper how we will be running it and it's just a matter of time. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Krinkels said:

Endless arena mode is definitely getting integrated into Arena when we get back to nailing that beast to the ground. Half because a deathmarch is the best way to run Arena mode and half because hand-crafting waves for every stage at every difficulty is arduous, and pointlessly taxing. We've gotten on paper how we will be running it and it's just a matter of time. 

Most excellent. I have a strong desire to see my OP Arena guy get flooded in gunfire in maps other than Murder Room 5.

On 6/24/2019 at 10:52 AM, Mr.Krinkels said:

Oh yes, are you also still considering retooling particular Story mode rooms as Arena stages? I remember discussion of that during one of the ancient podcasts and that seems like a rather easy way to add more variety to Arena alongside hand-crafted stages specifically for it.

Maybe it could be considered a bit lazy, but hey, given the nature of the game, a lot of rooms in Story mode are basically arena rooms that you don't stay in for as long.