Strangerj

Steel and Dynamite [RP]

It’s a simple combination lock, going by the locks of it. A bit rusty, but you should be able to pick it. The windows should be a breeze to shatter. Roll for either, or inspect the lock closer, or the building.

He scoffed as he examined the lock closer. "Can't believe I was about to waste a bullet on this piece of crap. If I get a good enough look at it I should be able to pick it." Holstering his pistol he grabbed the lock and leveled his eyes upon it. 

It goes from 5-40 in increments of five, about every quarter or so. It’s rusty, and you think it’s likely just as easy to break open as to pick.

”They skimped on their lock budget.”

”Likely didn’t have the money, Matterson.”

/Try to force the lock

/Try to pick the lock

It seems to fall own at your touch. The door opens shortly after, and you find a beige hallway leading to some stairs, the ever infamous fire-pole, the garage as well, and a equipment room that seems to double as a poker tournament room.

Sei chuckles. “Course there’s poker. Everyone, split up. Hawkins, equipment room. Matterson, upstairs with Roscoe. I’ll take the garage.”

"You know usually splitting up is a bad idea if you go by horror movies. Thankfully, we are not a group of idiotic horny teenagers. Looks like you and me are going up Matt." Pointing at his teammate the cocky former detective takes point and heads to the stairs.

You emerge into a living quarters/kitchenette area. The beds are against one wall, the kitchen against another. There’s a supply closet near the furthest bed, and the fire pole is next to the top of the stairs. Footlockers are under the beds. “Well. You wanna tackle the kitchen, or the supply closet?”

"I'll take the closet never know when a skeleton might be hiding in one." Roscoe stealthily creeps up to the closet door and places a hand on the butt of one of his pistols. With the other he grabs the knob and turns it slowly pulling it open to find... 

Skeletons, in this case, means a firefighter with an axe to the head and his neck cut in an unnaturally smooth circular motion, as if someone had laid him down and rotated him. The knife used is still stuck in his chest, next to his heart. You process this before the dead body falls out and lands with a wet crunch, as the axe is driven up and out of his head, clattering next to the massive gash. Crimson blood pools at your feet, and Matterson peeks over, and whistles. “That’s.. not groovy. Shit. You wanna check the guy, or should I?”

He gives an uncharacteristic shudder at the grisly remains. "Just... give me a second I will check the poor man out. Jeez what a way to go I don't think the poor bastard even saw what was coming." He knelt down to turn the corpse over his other hand still possessing his Glock in a grip of iron. 

You find two notes in his pockets, and a silver handled stiletto knife in his chest. His nametag reads Leonard Montag, and his green eyes are frozen open with fear and pain. In his pockets is also a pocket compass, and a wallet with ten dollars in it.

/Inspect Note 1

/Inspect Note 2

/Inspect Compass

/Inspect Body Further

You open the note, seemingly a prayer.

It reads:

”Our flame,

Whose Holy Alight rests below,

Let is burn the nonbeliever and heretic,

To ash, to ash!

And scatter them away!”

It seems to be torn and crumpled. The writing is smudged, and you’ll need to use all your perception (aka roll) to make it out. Or hand it to Matt.

You make bits of it out:

”The black god.... May the flame be..... at midnight, the ritua-......”

The rest is nonsensical scribbles and indecipherable.

He pores it over, frowning. “It’s chickenscratch to me. Something begins at midnight.” He pauses. “Wait.” Presses a finger to his earpiece. “Hey, Fritzy bud, what time is it on your end?”

Fritz’ voice crackles through your earpiece. “10:43 am. Why?”

Matt pulls out his pocket watch and looks at it. “Ten minutes to midnight. It’s the age old doomsday clock.”

”Weird. Pascal just reported it being ten to noon.”

”Aw, hell.”

Shit.

/BRIEFING UPDATED

Edited by Strangerj

His face is one of thinly disguised shock as he realizes something. "Say didn't that note say something about fire? And didn't we have to cross a gigantic ring of fire to get in here one we can't leave without being charred to a crisp. So in all honesty while this is not my area of expertise if a ritual begins at midnight involving this ring of fire. You think it will close in and turn this place into a fucking inferno with us as the main course?" He was bouncing on the balls of his feet now a feeling of excitement as well as terror gripping him.

“I think, and I’m probably wrong, but hear me: rituals are to bring something in. You wouldn’t burn down your summoning circles. Like with my journal, I wouldn’t burn it, release that latent energy, lord knows what it’ll do. Our problem is what’s being brought out at midnight. My question is why this town?”

A sickeningly thought came to him. "Your group wouldn't happen to have any enemies would they?  As in an organized group  that are rivals to you or anything. Because it seems entirely too convenient that both teams are split and send on two different points on the earth. Especially since we are now in the middle of some dark ritual of sorts. I mean we don't even know if anyone is alive here anymore." He was pacing back and forth completely anxious and growing more and more unhinged. 

3 hours ago, Audanti'sshitposts said:

A sickeningly thought came to him. "Your group wouldn't happen to have any enemies would they?  As in an organized group  that are rivals to you or anything. Because it seems entirely too convenient that both teams are split and send on two different points on the earth. Especially since we are now in the middle of some dark ritual of sorts. I mean we don't even know if anyone is alive here anymore." He was pacing back and forth completely anxious and growing more and more unhinged. 

Danny chimes in here. “One, don’t worry about Pascal’s group. They’re a sledgehammer in the dark. Two, you’re gonna have to be more specific. Peacekeepers get a lot of enemies. The only one I can think of currently, that matches our info, is the Brotherhood of the True Dreamers, or simply the Church of the Dreamers. It matches the ritual killing style, too. I’ll keep digging.”

• Like 1

He holds up a hand to signal the man to slow down. "So there is an entire Brotherhood or rather Church that wants you all and by extension me dead? Jeez what are they amped up Jehovah's Witnesses or Scientologists? I mean how many people you think they took with them for this little outing? Sounds pretty big maybe we should regroup with the others or look for some more clues. Whatever suits you of course."